Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Birthday Dinner

Another new recipe success! My birthday was this past Saturday and I decided to try this alfredo recipe. It's been staring at me for a while, but the butter content has been keeping me from making it. That, and the boyfriend said he wasn't a big fan of alfredo. I am, so it was a treat to myself. It was SO creamy, and SO easy! Oh, and the boyfriend ended up liking it too! I servied it with baked/seasoned chicken breasts and whole wheat italian bread with a store-bought tomato spread.
The only modification I may make for next time is to try it with that liquid I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray instead of real butter. That would cut the calories at least in half!

Fettuccini Alfredo
(Adapted from Two Picky Eaters and Elizabeth's Cooking Experiments)

18 oz fettuccini pasta
4 cups heavy cream
2T lemon juice
4-5T minced garlic
2 sticks unsalted butter
4-5 cups grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the pasta in a large pot per package instructions and drain. Leaving pasta in the strainer, stir together the heavy cream, lemon juice, minced garlic and butter in the pot. Cook over medium/high heat until the butter is melted and the garlic loses its bitterness. Reduce to low heat, add the pasta back to the pot and toss. Add the grated parmesan, salt and pepper and toss pasta until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute.

No comments: